Garbage collection of unused dynamic BGP neighbours

Nigel Kukard nkukard at LBSD.net
Wed Sep 21 10:54:44 CEST 2022

On 9/21/22 08:37, Tore Anderson via Bird-users wrote:
> * Ondrej Zajicek
>
>> i think that 'configure' CLI command should remove unused dynamic BGP
>> instaces as a side-effect of its unused protocols cleanup code, even if
>> there is no change in configuration.
> I had already tried that unsuccessfully, but did some more testing now
> and found out that it works IFF you manually disable the protocol
> instance first:
>
> $ birdc
> BIRD 2.0.10 ready.
> bird> show protocols dynbgp3
> Name       Proto      Table      State  Since         Info
> dynbgp3    BGP        ---        start  10:28:22.421  Passive       Received: Administrative shutdown
> bird> configure
> Reading configuration from /etc/bird.conf
> Reconfigured
> bird> show protocols dynbgp3
> Name       Proto      Table      State  Since         Info
> dynbgp3    BGP        ---        start  10:28:22.421  Passive       Received: Administrative shutdown
> bird> disable dynbgp3
> dynbgp3: disabled
> bird> show protocols dynbgp3
> Name       Proto      Table      State  Since         Info
> dynbgp3    BGP        ---        down   10:29:02.779
> bird> configure
> Reading configuration from /etc/bird.conf
> Reconfigured
> bird> show protocols dynbgp3
> syntax error, unexpected CF_SYM_UNDEFINED, expecting END or CF_SYM_KNOWN or TEXT or ALL
>
> Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!
>
> If there's such a thing as a feature request list for BIRD, it would be
> nice to have a switch to have this done automatically added to it.
> After all, the client can always reconnect and get a new dynamic
> protocol instance.

I'd also really really like a feature like this, for my use case it
would be very nice to maybe have a switch where you can set the garbage
collection interval. Like 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week ... etc.

-N