Garbage collection of unused dynamic BGP neighbours

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Wed Sep 21 10:37:22 CEST 2022

* Ondrej Zajicek

> i think that 'configure' CLI command should remove unused dynamic BGP
> instaces as a side-effect of its unused protocols cleanup code, even if
> there is no change in configuration.

I had already tried that unsuccessfully, but did some more testing now
and found out that it works IFF you manually disable the protocol
instance first:

$ birdc
BIRD 2.0.10 ready.
bird> show protocols dynbgp3
Name       Proto      Table      State  Since         Info
dynbgp3    BGP        ---        start  10:28:22.421  Passive       Received: Administrative shutdown
bird> configure
Reading configuration from /etc/bird.conf
Reconfigured
bird> show protocols dynbgp3
Name       Proto      Table      State  Since         Info
dynbgp3    BGP        ---        start  10:28:22.421  Passive       Received: Administrative shutdown
bird> disable dynbgp3
dynbgp3: disabled
bird> show protocols dynbgp3
Name       Proto      Table      State  Since         Info
dynbgp3    BGP        ---        down   10:29:02.779
bird> configure
Reading configuration from /etc/bird.conf
Reconfigured
bird> show protocols dynbgp3
syntax error, unexpected CF_SYM_UNDEFINED, expecting END or CF_SYM_KNOWN or TEXT or ALL

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

If there's such a thing as a feature request list for BIRD, it would be
nice to have a switch to have this done automatically added to it.
After all, the client can always reconnect and get a new dynamic
protocol instance.

Tore