EBGP ECMP w/o add paths capability

Milovancevic, Nemanja n.milovancevic at sap.com
Tue Sep 20 14:18:48 CEST 2022

Dear all,

Since some of our customers have devices which are not supporting EBGP add-path capability, I was wondering would there be  an option that BIRD announces also other “not only best” paths, since it looks like that now only the best one elected, based on (router-id) RID is announced to the other customers (customers have normally 2 devices connected and announce the same prefixes)

RID would be tie breaker as all the other attributes are the same.

BGP RS Best Path Selection:

  *   Prefer route with the highest Local Preference attribute.
  *   Prefer route with the shortest AS path.
  *   Prefer IGP origin over EGP and EGP origin over incomplete.
  *   Prefer the lowest value of the Multiple Exit Discriminator.
  *   Prefer routes received via eBGP over ones received via iBGP.
  *   Prefer routes with lower internal distance to a boundary router.
  *   Prefer the route with the lowest value of router ID of the advertising router.

I don’t know if there would be something like Cisco based command:

bgp bestpath as-path multipath-relax

Thanks.

Best regards,
Nemanja Milovancevic