Way to store ROA info so we can accept but view?

Dan Mahoney (Gushi) danm at prime.gushi.org
Sat May 28 14:54:45 CEST 2022

Hey all,

We're using RPKI in testing at the day job, and for a given route, it
seems the best we can do is apply a community to it so we can see that
it's invalid.

A howto I've found says that this is a bad idea and can cause problems.
(https://bgpfilterguide.nlnog.net/guides/reject_invalids/)

When you look at routes with something like "show route all", there's no
field for the RPKI status or the ASes for which ROAs are allowed.

So, the questions here is:

1) My understanding of the way RPKI-RTR works is that it's basically
handed a tuple of prefix and AS, and RTR says "valid", "invalid", or
"unknown".  It feels like to check for AS 0 ROAs, we'd basically have to
do two lookups for each route that's otherwise invalid, which feels
inefficient.  Is there a better way?

2) Can the output of "show route" be extended to include user defined
fields, or are we locked into what's there?

3) If not, we're limited to adding communities or MEDs or local prefs or
something like that, which is a hack, but at least gives us some info we
can view.  Is that a dangerous trade off?

-Dan