BIRD 2.0.8

Jakub Ružička jakub.ruzicka at nic.cz
Wed Apr 14 12:45:28 CEST 2021

On 4/14/21 11:22 AM, Justin Cattle wrote:
> Hi Jakub,
>
> Thanks for working on this.
My pleasure. After seeing how community has downstream packaging covered
(❤) and hitting some annoyances with OBS I decided I'm only going to use
OBS for SUSE builds only and use respective community systems for each
distro so the launchpad will continue to be official upstream repo for
Ubuntu for the time being.

> You are correct about that issue with init-system-helpers , I had
> completely forgotten about it.
>
> We are running bird2 primarily on bionic, and I created a backport
> of init-system-helpers 1.56+nmu1~ubuntu18.04.1 and placed it in one of
> our internal repos to work around the for our use cases.
>
> I was not sure why init-system-helpers (>= 1.56~) was specified at the
> time, but I suspected it may have been because of the build system it
> was built on.
>
> Actually, it looks like it has been officially place in bionic
> backport snow
> too: https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic-backports/init-system-helpers
> <https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic-backports/init-system-helpers>

Oh, I see! I checked history and this versioned requirement was added as
part of "Bump the dephelper compatibilty level to 12" in Debian package
which is a change specific to latest debian release. It's quite likely
that this specific version isn't in fact required so I removed the (>=
1.56~) part - it's always worth a try with default available system
init-system-helpers. I see overly strict requires like this often when
doing cross-distro packaging. Sometimes they are introduced to dodge
specific bug but older version might still work.

In fact the bird service worked on all my Ubuntu VMs with Xenial being
special by bird service not enabled by default but it could be started
normally.

I suggest we try with relaxed init-system-helpers and see if it produces
some issues, I didn't hit any in my light testing.

> So, in summary, the ppa was not completely valid beforehand for bionic
> at least :)
> I think it would be better to include all deps in the PPA, so
> relevant versions of init-system-helpers too. Most production systems
> won't include the backports repo anyway.
If we find issues with using any init-system-helpers, I can backport
specific version into PPA but it's a system lib that affects other
packages - it's better not to touch it at all if possible. Last resort.

> The other option is to try and work out if the dependency
> init-system-helpers (>= 1.56~) is valid, or just a build system
> signature artifact of some kind.
Correct :)

Seeing how broken current repo is, I wasn't affraid to update it with my
current 2.0.8 packages including bionic ones so please go ahead, test
and report any issues.

https://launchpad.net/~cz.nic-labs/+archive/ubuntu/bird/

I'm going to send 2.0.8 packaging update including link to the updated
launchpad later today or tomorrow so extra points for you if you test it
and let me know before that ;)

> Cheers,
> Just

Cheers,