BIRD 2.0.8

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Wed Apr 14 16:24:49 CEST 2021

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 12:45:28PM +0200, Jakub Ružička wrote:
> Oh, I see! I checked history and this versioned requirement was added as
> part of "Bump the dephelper compatibilty level to 12" in Debian package
> which is a change specific to latest debian release. It's quite likely
> that this specific version isn't in fact required so I removed the (>=
> 1.56~) part - it's always worth a try with default available system
> init-system-helpers. I see overly strict requires like this often when
> doing cross-distro packaging. Sometimes they are introduced to dodge
> specific bug but older version might still work.

Hi, some time ago i built Debian packages for older Debians (8, 9) and
did some modifications (including decreasing debhelper compatibility
level) in order to work with unmodified system (without upgrading
init-system-helpers from Backports). It worked without problems (with
init-system-helpers >= 1.22~ requirement), but needed some modifications
to Debian control files.

So it seems to me that in order to build packages for multiple Debian
versions the simplest way is to have multiple Debian control files.