bird2 doesn't negotiate with gobgp over ipv6

Vladimir Pouzanov farcaller at gmail.com
Mon May 6 12:13:07 CEST 2024

As far as I know, the recent cilium releases are capable of running ipv6
only (although I didn't try it personally, yet). BGP-wise, the only change
you should need to make is to specify the router id:
https://docs.cilium.io/en/latest/network/bgp-control-plane/#specifying-router-id-ipv6-single-stack-only
.

As for my case, I figured out the basic configuration that makes cilium
push both ipv4 and ipv6 routes and it's actually working as intended.
Here's a post with my notes
https://farcaller.net/2024/making-cilium-bgp-work-with-ipv6/, but really,
all the struggles I had were to do with my misunderstanding how exactly
bird operates.

--
Sincerely,
Vladimir "Farcaller" Pouzanov