Is BFD extractable from Bird?

Laurent GUERBY laurent at guerby.net
Tue Nov 15 13:14:55 CET 2022

On Tue, 2022-11-15 at 10:48 +0000, Nallan Chakravarthy, Sudarshan via
Bird-users wrote:
> Hello Bird Team,
> I’m Sudarshan, a software developer at NetApp.
> I have been using Bird as a peer for testing BGP functionality of
> NetApp’s Ontap software stack. Thanks to the Bird community!
> I looked at Bird’s BFD implementation. Was wondering if it is even
> plausible to extract only the BFD functionality out of Bird
> and use it with our existing BGP implementation. I see that BFD is
> tightly integrated with Bird’s core software libraries and
> so it doesn’t look like a trivial lift and shift. That said, I wanted
> to check with this group to see if there is a way to do it.
>
> Appreciate your response.
>
> Thanks,
> Sudarshan

Hi Sudarshan,

Before looking at the technical aspects if you haven't done so I
suggest you reach for your company lawyers and ask them if using part
of software under the GNU GPL v2+ is okay for your netapp project or
not.

https://gitlab.nic.cz/labs/bird/-/blob/master/README
"This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
(at your option) any later version."

Sincerely,

Laurent