Scaling BFD support

Douglas Fischer fischerdouglas at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 13:47:51 CEST 2022

Hello all!

Just passing here to see if any moves on this BFD Scaling occurred.

This week some friends that are involved in the operation of a really big
IXP told me that they were having problems with some "funny" participants
of its IXP that adjusted their BGP Timer to numbers like 5/15.
On an environment with thousands of peers, I'm sure you can imagine the CPU
impact of that.

Now you are probably asking:
What that has to do with Scale the BFD capacities on BIRD?

Well...
Those 'j'enius are probably adjusting the timers to have some kind of
control of some communication issue occurs between his router and the RS.
They just "forget" that on that level of reduction, it compromises the
processing capacity of the RS.

If BFD engine could support session for every participant at IXP, or at
least for those that wants that kind of resource.
Then would be reasonable to lock the timers of BGP Session in 60/180.

--
Douglas Fernando Fischer
Engº de Controle e Automação