IP addresses assigning via Bird

Maria Matejka maria.matejka at nic.cz
Thu Sep 23 17:07:18 CEST 2021

Hello!

>> There is no such feature and we aren't sure about implementing that. Is
>> there any good reason to do this instead of setting static IP
>> configuration in the appropriate system configuration (e.g.
>> /etc/network/interfaces)?
>
> The main reason why to not use system configuration from
> /etc/network/interfaces is requirement to do down-up procedure with
> interface which affects network traffic.
> It is possible to IP addresses via "ip address ..." statement, however
> this changes are not persistent. Doing it all doubly - changing
> /etc/network/interfaces for persistent setting and then "ip address
> ..." for running machine can bring bugs and inconsistency. Bird config
> file is tested before applying and it makes it safe and simple.

Well, yes, this argument seems to be feasible. Yet I'm quite afraid of
kinda slippery slope, where implementing static IP assignments may lead
to implementing also DHCP client (or other kinds of dynamic
assignments), then DHCPv6 relay, server, then managing tunnels …

… I know that L2 and L3 are somehow overlapping and there is no exact
boundary between them. To be honest, MPLS is exactly between them and we
decided to have it in our plans for implementing. However, I don't like
evolving BIRD into another SystemD-like daemon … we all know how it
began and where we are now, don't we?

Maria