IP addresses assigning via Bird

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Thu Sep 23 17:04:54 CEST 2021

ZX <zx at zxinc.org> writes:

> Oh no if I start NetworkManager and exports the full table into the kernel,
> the CPU booms on CentOS 7 and 8. Don't know why.

That's because NetworkManager listens to netlink notifications of new
routes (for some reason). I've run into this problem with several
userspace utilities (dnsmasq is another).

Personally I use systemd-networkd to configure the network interfaces.
You need to set ManageForeignRoutes=no in /etc/systemd/networkd.conf,
but otherwise it works quite well. If you're changing the addresses
assigned to an interface, systemd-networkd will remove and re-add all
addresses, so there's a small window where the addresses get removed,
but the link doesn't go down...

-Toke