BFD+BGP behavior difference between bird 1.6 and 2.0

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri Oct 29 15:29:52 CEST 2021

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 02:31:56PM +0300, Kseniya Blashchuk wrote:
> Hello!
> After upgrading to 2.0 I have noticed that "bgp on" in BGP peer
> configuration creates a separate BFD session, however it wasn't like that
> in bird 1.6, we had to specify neighbors in BFD section. Now for bird 2.0
> it looks like specifying neighbors in BFD section is not necessary when
> "bgp on" is set in BGP configuration.

Hello

I don't know anything about "bgp on" option. Do you mean "bfd on"
option in BGP config?

I do not think this changed between 1.6 and 2.0, even in BIRD 1.6 there
should not be necessary to use BFD neighbor config option if you use BFD
with BGP or OSPF, this option (BFD neighbor) is here primarily for
independent/unrelated BFD sessions.