BFD+BGP behavior difference between bird 1.6 and 2.0

Kseniya Blashchuk ksyblast at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 13:31:56 CEST 2021

Hello!
After upgrading to 2.0 I have noticed that "bgp on" in BGP peer
configuration creates a separate BFD session, however it wasn't like that
in bird 1.6, we had to specify neighbors in BFD section. Now for bird 2.0
it looks like specifying neighbors in BFD section is not necessary when
"bgp on" is set in BGP configuration. The problem I have faced was "unknown
session id" errors between two BGP routers, one running bird 1.6 and
another running bird 2.0, same config. It looked like bird 2.0 was creating
two BFD sessions comparing to bird 1.6 that created only one. Removing
neighbor from BFD section at bird 2.0 fixed the issue. Can anybody tell me
if anything has changed in 2.0 or am I missing something? The documentation
looks quite similar for both versions in this case.