Bird just doesn't want to find OSPF neighbors although they are there and can communicate

Chriztoffer Hansen ch at ntrv.dk
Mon Oct 18 09:47:25 CEST 2021

On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 at 02:01, Lukas Haase <lukashaase at gmx.at> wrote:
> I am having big trouble getting Bird/OSPF working. I broke it down to a simple setup:
> Point-to-point wireguard link between Node1 (192.168.56.224/31) and Node2 (192.168.56.225/31) using nbma.
> There were nothing but troubles with multicast and to avoid all these hassles for now, I directly switched to nbma.
>
> Config Station 1:
>
> protocol ospf test {
>         area 0.0.0.0 {
>                 interface "wg-tun" {
>                         cost 10;
>                         type nbma;
>                         authentication cryptographic;
>                         password "VWj3QH8LAtWIzQca";
>                         neighbors {
>                                 192.168.56.225;
>                         };
>                 };
>         };
> }
>

> Config Station 2:
>
> protocol ospf test {
>         area 0.0.0.0 {
>                 interface "wg-tun" {
>                         type nbma;
>                         cost 10;
>                         authentication cryptographic;
>                         password "VWj3QH8LAtWIzQca";
>                         neighbors {
>                                 192.168.56.224;
>                         };
>                 };
>         };
> }

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ospf+over+wireguard&t=brave&ia=web
https://idndx.com/ospf-over-wireguard/
https://docs.nycmesh.net/networking/vpnwireguardospf/

Have you tried setting the type to 'ptmp' or 'ptp' instead of 'nbma'?

WireGuard tunnels are default ptp between the server and clients (if
multiple client-peers are configured on the same tunnel interface on
the server).

Or "just" ptp if only one peer is configured for a single wg tunnel on
each side.

<quote>
type broadcast|bcast --> BIRD detects a type of a connected network
automatically, but sometimes it's convenient to force use of a
different type manually. On broadcast networks (like ethernet),
flooding and Hello messages are sent using multicasts (a single packet
for all the neighbors). A designated router is elected and it is
responsible for synchronizing the link-state databases and originating
network LSAs. This network type cannot be used on physically NBMA
networks and on unnumbered networks (networks without proper IP
prefix).

type pointopoint|ptp --> Point-to-point networks connect just 2
routers together. No election is performed and no network LSA is
originated, which makes it simpler and faster to establish. This
network type is useful not only for physically PtP ifaces (like PPP or
tunnels), but also for broadcast networks used as PtP links. This
network type cannot be used on physically NBMA networks.

type nonbroadcast|nbma --> On NBMA networks, the packets are sent to
each neighbor separately because of lack of multicast capabilities.
Like on broadcast networks, a designated router is elected, which
plays a central role in propagation of LSAs. This network type cannot
be used on unnumbered networks.

type pointomultipoint|ptmp --> This is another network type designed
to handle NBMA networks. In this case the NBMA network is treated as a
collection of PtP links. This is useful if not every pair of routers
on the NBMA network has direct communication, or if the NBMA network
is used as an (possibly unnumbered) PtP link.
</quote>

https://bird.network.cz/?get_doc&v=20&f=bird-6.html