RAdv protocol in failover router setup

Nico Schottelius nico.schottelius at ungleich.ch
Wed Jun 30 11:52:54 CEST 2021

Hey Tore,

we are running active-active routers with bird, wihout VRRP as follows:

- router1: high priority
- router2: low priority

Sample config:

protocol radv {
    # Internal
    interface "eth1.10" {
         max ra interval 5;      # Fast failover with more routers
         other config yes;       # dhcpv6 boot
         default preference high;
         default lifetime 600;
    };
    # Server
    interface "eth1.11" {
         max ra interval 5;
         default preference high;
         default lifetime 600;
    };
}

Routing via EUI-64 based link local addresses.

This works fine with Linux servers, however Windows/Linux clients do not
necessarily seem to accept the higher/lower preference route.

Cheers,

Nico

--
Sustainable and modern Infrastructures by ungleich.ch