RAdv protocol in failover router setup

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Wed Jun 30 11:20:05 CEST 2021

I am trying to use BIRD v2.0.8 to emit ICMPv6 RAs from a HA pair of routers.

The default router address of the router (fe80::1) is failed over using the
VRRP protocol, so it is only present on a single router at any given time.

I have run into two challenges I cannot quite figure out how to solve:

1) How to make BIRD only emit RAs if the router is active, i.e., only on
interfaces where the fe80::1 address is configured.

(It appears that RAdv does not support the «interface "*" fe80::1/128 {};»
syntax; it just complains «Interface name/mask expected, not IP prefix»).

2) How to make BIRD use the fe80::1 default router address as the source
address of the emitted RAs instead of the EUI-64-generated link-local address
(which will not fail over to the standby router in the event of a failure, and
should therefore not be used as a router by the hosts receiving the RAs).

I am grateful for any suggestions.

Tore