RFC: Separate import/export tables

Maria Matejka maria.matejka at nic.cz
Thu Jun 24 22:28:14 CEST 2021

Hello!

>> I'm quite confused by what you're trying to achieve. How would you choose
>> the routes that are likely to be exported?
>
> Hello
>
> I understood it that as small AS, you have small set of 'your' (or
> customers') prefixes (say 10) in prefix set which you want to export to
> all your peers and upstreams. If you have hundred of peers and few
> millions of global routes, you may want to avoid few 10E8 of route
> matching of that prefix set for export, when you can just have secondary
> table connected to master table by pipe with prefix set filter and
> containing these 10 routes, while peer BGP sessions could be configured
> to import to master table and export from secondary table (so only ~10E4
> route processing would be done for export).
>
> It could be thought as a pair of separate unidirectional channels for
> import and export, connected to different tables.

Aha! I'm getting it now. Well, this is almost something I have been
working on last week – splitting channels to the import and export part.
Soon to be seen in alderney branch as it is also a prerequisite to make
pipes work well in parallel. It will be trivial then to allow for import
to and export from different tables.

Maria