RFC: Separate import/export tables

Asbjørn Sloth Tønnesen asbjorn at asbjorn.st
Fri Jun 18 19:11:16 CEST 2021

Hi,

We have an internet router setup where we have a few
customer connections, and hundreds of peering sessions.

A lot of CPU time is wasted running the export filters over
the entire internet routing table per peer, in order to find
the relatively few prefixes to actually export.

I know we could try to work around it, by having a complicated
system of tables and pipes, like one table per peer per family.

However I would prefer to keep things simple, so if I could
just keep a small table containing the few prefixes that are
likely to match the export filter, and use that as export table,
while still importing prefixes from peers into the master table.

Since BGP already has "(import|export) table <switch>", then
maybe "table [import|export] <table>" could work.

Before I try to implement this, are there any support/comments/
objections to this approach?

--
Best regards
Asbjørn Sloth Tønnesen