Problems configuring multihop BGP setup

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri Jul 23 17:40:40 CEST 2021

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 05:29:54PM +0200, Rainer Kulow wrote:
> Thank you for the detailed explanation.
> I understand, since "multihop" was specified, it tried to resolve the
> gateway recursively - which didn't work because the matching routes were
> missing in the routing table.
>
> When I deleted "multihop", the next hop was taken directly from
> "bgp_next_hop", which does not need lookup from the route table.
> This was at least possible for the next AS, for the further ones logically
> not anymore.

It should work even for the further ones, becase when EBGP router forwards
a route to a different, it changes the bgp_next_hop to itself.

So if you have AS1 - AS2 - AS3, then AS2 forwards route from AS1 to AS3,
changes the bgp_next_hop to itself, so AS3 sees route to AS1 with
bgp_next_hop to a router from AS2.