direct routes and SLAAC addresses

George Ross gdmr at inf.ed.ac.uk
Thu Jul 8 11:56:18 CEST 2021

Many thanks for answering my stubnet question a couple of weeks or so back.
I have a supplementary direct-protocol question now...

We have a Linux router running BIRD 2.0.8.  It has some interfaces on which
we configure IPv6 addresses statically.  We turn off auto-configuration,
but, due to a race condition which it's going to be hard to fix, when we
reboot the machine we can end up with SLAAC addresses as well as the static
IPv6 addresses.

We start BIRD, and the direct protocol imports the subnets, so we can then
export them to BGP.  The problem seems to come when the kernel ages out the
SLAAC addresses.  It looks as though when a SLAAC address goes, the
direct protocol notices and stops importing the corresponding subnet.
Unfortunately, it looks as though it doesn't realise that there's still a
static IPv6 address for the subnet, and that it should therefore continue
to import it.

Does that sound right, or am I missing some bit of configuration somewhere?

(As a hack workaround we now delete all of those unwanted SLAAC addresses
before we start BIRD.)

Thanks again for your help, and for BIRD.  It's been very useful!

--
George D M Ross MSc PhD CEng MBCS CITP
University of Edinburgh, School of Informatics,

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.