Linux PBR and RIP

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Sun Feb 14 13:25:35 CET 2021

Grant Taylor <gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm facing a problem where RIP (v2) isn't originating a default route if
> it's not in the (kernel) table that RIP is using.
>
> The system itself is using Policy Based Routing and does have a default
> route in a different (kernel) table.  PBR is searching multiple (kernel)
> tables in succession.
>
> Is there a way that I can have BIRD v2 originate a default route that
> doesn't exist in the (kernel) table that RIP is connected to?

Yeah, I do this for Babel:

protocol static babeldef6 {
        ipv6 sadr;
        route ::/0 from 2axx:xxxx:xxxx::/48 unreachable;
}

protocol static babeldef4 {
        ipv4;
        route 0.0.0.0/0 unreachable;
}

Just make sure you filter it out from your kernel protocol, so Bird
doesn't *add* it to the kernel routing table...

-Toke