BIRD 2.0.8

Clemens Schrimpe clemens.schrimpe at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 21:09:55 CEST 2021

Hej -

sorry for being late to the game (this thread), but $dayjob kept me busy - what else is new...

I have been an avid user of BIRD (1.x and 2.x) on the Ubiquiti platforms - on both major versions of "EdgeOS" and on both hardware platforms (Octeon → MIPS-BE and "the other" → MIPS-LE  (all EdgeRouter X models))

Yes, I am using the original EdgeOS, which is just-another-debian-distro, namely:

EdgeOS 1 → Debian 7.11 with "3.10.107-UBNT #1 SMP Fri Feb 21 09:19:25 UTC 2020 mips64 GNU/Linux" kernel and

EdgeOS 2 → Debian 9.12 with "4.9.79-UBNT #1 SMP Thu Mar 5 16:48:40 UTC 2020 mips64 GNU/Linux" kernel.

(on the Octeon platform → all EdgeRouters, except the "X" models, but versions are quite equal/similar/close)

I have not built my own distribution (incl. a kernel with the HW-offloading supplements, etc.), because I actually liked EdgeOS - with the exception of the Quagga-Version (the non-FRR variant from Japan, if I recall right) that comes with it.

However, if you do not configure anything in the "protocol" section of the EdgeOS/Vyatta configuration and create a bird.conf file and fire up BIRD instead everything (almost) works just fine. Yes, you can't see the routing config in the GUI, but I disable it anyway because I don't use it and want the memory for important things. Of course, "show bgp neighbors" would also be replaced by "birdc show protocols", etc. but this is just fine!

I built my BIRDs directly on the routers themselves (just install "build-essential" and very few other packages), but since you talked about "distributions" here, be warned: A "firmware upgrade" wipes/reinstalls everything in the filesystem, except /config and below. Since you don't want to do a FW upgrade and have the box reboot without it's routing engine/daemon I compiled BIRD to live under /config/opt/bird1 or /config/opt/bird2 (or just /config/opt/bird ;-).

Put a proper startup-script for it into /config/scripts/post-config.d and the BIRD shall be woken by EdgeOS, once all interfaces are plumbed and addressed and everything works very well - even after a firmware upgrade. BIRD binaries built for EdgeOS 1 even survive a FW upgrade to EdgeOS 2 this way, btw.
(though you want BIRD 2 built on EdgeOS 2 to get the latest & gratest features → RPKI, for example)

Just my 2¢ ...

	Clemens

PS: We use this combination (among others) in parts of the IETF Meeting network for many years now. So if you have attended an IETF meeting (in person) since spring of 2014 (#89 → London) you are very likely to have been routed by it 😉  (yes, including all recent meetings in Praha!)