BIRD 2.0.8

Jakub Ružička jakub.ruzicka at nic.cz
Tue Apr 13 22:38:59 CEST 2021

Hey Justin,

I managed to get bird2-2.0.8 packages built (and lightly tested) for all
current Ubuntu versions in bird-experimental launchpad [1] 🥳

* Ubuntu 20.10 (Groovy Gorilla)

* Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (Focal Fossa)

* Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS (Bionic Beaver)

* Ubuntu 16.04.7 LTS (Xenial Xerus)

However, when I started testing migration from current official bird
launchpad [2] I noticed that bird2 doesn't really install on Ubuntu
16.04 Xenial Xerus (package not found after adding ppa even though it's
displayed on the web 🤔) and 18.04 Bionic Beaver (init-system-helpers
(>= 1.56~) isn't available, that is the same for Xenial even if the
package was found).

Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo is rejected by launchpad as "disco is obsolete
and will not accept new uploads."

I've fixed build issues by relaxing deps and disabling -docs subpackage
which was causing FTBFS on older distros. I'll try to re-enable docs in
the future package builds and they remain available from downstream
distro packages and more importantly online.

But I'm still quite confused by the current state of the launchpad repo
- can you confirm that [2] is the PPA you're using? Maybe there are some
other unofficial ones? If so, on which Ubuntu version are you?

Could you by any chance test upgrade on a testing system/VM/container
with your setup by adding [1] and checking if bird2-2.0.8 does what you
expect it to do before I push new packages to [2]?

For example:

    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cz.nic-labs/bird-experimental
    sudo apt install bird2
    sudo systemctl status bird
    bird --version
    dpkg -l bird2

I wasn't sure how much testing I should do before pushing new packages
into official launchpad but it seems broken to a point where there isn't
a single upgrade path I could test so I reckon the sooner the better
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[1]: https://launchpad.net/~cz.nic-labs/+archive/ubuntu/bird-experimental/

[2]: https://launchpad.net/~cz.nic-labs/+archive/ubuntu/bird

Cheers,