BIRD 2.0.8

Jakub Ružička jakub.ruzicka at nic.cz
Mon Apr 12 15:11:18 CEST 2021

Hey Kees,

On 4/10/21 11:00 AM, Kees Meijs | Nefos wrote:

> Hi Jakub,
>
> Good news: I found a sponsor willing to backport BIRD2 in Debian.
Awesome, thanks for help!

I'll probably be able to do debian backports in the future once I'm more
faimilar with debian processes (so far I've only prepared packages for
review and my sponsor did the rest) and I become bird maintainer but
that isn't something to be rushed TBH so I appreciate the ability to
focus on upstream packaging first and then smoothly take over downstream
packaging once the time is right.
> Over the weekend I'll try to further prepare a .dsc that gets through
> lintian.
For your convenience this is a link to my salsa [fork] with
debian/master, pristine-tar, and upstream branches updated for 2.0.8 as
well as enabled Salsa CI and fixes for uscan:

[fork]: https://salsa.debian.org/jruzicka/bird2

Feel free to use any subset of those changes as you see fit. I was able
to build unstable package but I got problems with docs on older Debian
releases so some additional changes might be needed to backport.
> Formally only packages (and versions) in testing are allowed in
> Backports. That is: 2.0.7-4.1 and not 2.0.8.
I didn't push 2.0.8 to debian/master because I'm not sure how all that
works during debian freeze... but I'm sure you're gonna figure that out :)

> I'll go for both versions and we'll see soon enough what will be
> accepted, or not.
>
> About modifying sources.list(.d): Debian Backports is Debian, not an
> alien repository. For most Debian purists like myself using Backports is
> okay but PPA or otherwise.... well... only if really-really-really needed.
Makes sense. It's certainly preferred to use official distro sources
only. But that may take some time to propagate so my primary objective
now is getting control over upstream packaging and get 2.0.8 packages
out for users and eventually providing upstream packages right on release.

After that I'll start working on making packages available from official
distro repos but I see that community has that quite covered (most
distros already have 2.0.8) so I plan to simply add bird to my packaging
[tracker] and then it will be easy to see if some packages somewhere
need updating. I need to add debian-backports there as well it seems.

[tracker]: https://pkg.labs.nic.cz/

> Cheers,
> Kees
Cheers,