BIRD 2.0.8

Jakub Ružička jakub.ruzicka at nic.cz
Fri Apr 9 04:55:15 CEST 2021

Hello,

I bring good news!

I've been recently tasked with updating Debian and Ubuntu bird packages
and I'm probably going to maintain all bird packaging (including Debian
downstream) from now on as I do with Knot DNS and Knot Resolver packages
which were also previously maintained by Ondra Surý the current official
Debian bird package Maintainer. He agreed to pass the maintenance of
bird and bird2 Debian packages to me as well. Please note that I'm a
fresh Debian Maintainer, not a Debian Developer (yet?) so my powers are
slightly limited but I've been able to solve all Debian packaging tasks
so far with the kind help of my awesome sponsor and mentors and I intend
to do the same for bird.

Debian unstable is in hard freeze and bird2 Debian package doesn't have
autopkgtests which means it can't be updated until Debian 11 Bullseye is
released.

I've prepared bird2-2.0.8 on my Salsa fork and I also enabled Salsa CI
which is green (some harmless blhc warnings and reproducible build are
skipped):

https://salsa.debian.org/jruzicka/bird2

I'll make sure these changes will make it to Debian (and Ubuntu by
transition) eventually.

Regarding upstream packages, I initially intended to update the bird
launchpad you mentioned, but after a careful consideration I chose to
leverage openSUSE Build Service (OBS) instead to provide wider platform
support than just Ubuntu.

OBS is already used in Knot Resolver and Knot DNS projects for packaging
and CI and while it has its share of problems, it currently provides
best value for building upstream packages on many different distros and
archs from shared packaging source.

I already have bird2 packages built in a testing OBS repo for latest
Debian, Ubuntu, Fedoras, and CentOS but there are some remaining issues
with docs generation on older distro versions which I need to address.
In worst case scenario I will temporarily drop doc packages in order to
get bird built.

I plan to announce the new OBS repos sometimes next week to provide
Debian, Ubuntu, and hopefully SUSE packages as opposed to Ubuntu only
through Launchpad.

However, after seeing your interest in the Launchpad repo, I'll see if I
can get it updated as well to make the transition smoother.

I have bright plans for both upstream and downstream bird packaging but
I'll share the them only after I'm done with bird-2.0.8 packages you've
been waiting for.

Thank you for your patience!

Jakub Ružička
CZ.NIC packager 📦