Migration from bird 1.6 to 2.0.

Chriztoffer Hansen ch at ntrv.dk
Fri Jul 10 23:38:10 CEST 2020

Hi Mike,

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 at 20:21, Mike Neo <neomikemac at gmail.com> wrote:
> is it recommended to migrate from bird 1.6 to 2.0 if I use bird for an easy bgp router with 2-3 peers?
> What's the difference between 1.6 and 2.0?

There is no active incentive to migrate to Bird2 (yet). As Ross
mentioned, RPKI is supported in Bird2. Bird1 use static ROA tables
(reloadable) for the same functionality.

Most of the worlds largest internet exchanges uses Bird 1.6.x for
their route-servers one way or another. DE-CIX, AMS-IX, Netnod, NL-ix
being amongst the top 5 IX's doing so. I.e. performance considerations
should not be your primary driver to change release train, just yet.

One point to keep in mind is the dev team behind bird has not
officially promoted Bird2 as "the stable" release just yet. And some
major [internal] code changes are still scheduled to happen before
Bird2 is set to be promoted as "the stable release" of the Bird
routing daemon in favour of the current stable v1.6.x branch.

--
Chriztoffer