IPv6 BGP & kernel 4.19

Basil Fillan jack at basilfillan.uk
Wed Feb 26 23:54:57 CET 2020

Hi,

We've also experienced this after upgrading a few routers to Debian
Buster. With a kernel bisect we found that a bug was introduced in the
following commit:

3b6761d18bc11f2af2a6fc494e9026d39593f22c

This bug was still present in master as of a few weeks ago.

It appears entries are added to the IPv6 route cache which aren't
visible from "ip -6 route show cache", but are causing the route cache
garbage collection system to trigger extremely often (every packet?)
once it exceeds the value of net.ipv6.route.max_size. Our original
symptom was extreme forwarding jitter caused within the ip6_dst_gc
function (identified by some spelunking with systemtap & perf) worsening
as the size of the cache increased. This was due to our max_size sysctl
inadvertently being set to 1 million. Reducing this value to the default
4096 broke IPv6 forwarding entirely on our test system under affected
kernels. Our documentation had this sysctl marked as the maximum number
of IPv6 routes, so it looks like the use changed at some point.

We've rolled our routers back to kernel 4.9 (with the sysctl set to
4096) for now, which fixed our immediate issue.

You can reproduce this by adding more than 4096 (default value of the
sysctl) routes to the kernel and running "ip route get" for each of
them. Once the route cache is filled, the error "RTNETLINK answers:
Network is unreachable" will be received for each subsequent "ip route
get" incantation, and v6 connectivity will be interrupted.

Thanks,

Basil