Status of implementing multicast routing

Bernd Naumann bena at spreadshirt.net
Thu Aug 6 12:53:08 CEST 2020

On 06.08.20 12:31, Bernd Naumann wrote:
> On 05.08.20 17:44, Matt wrote:
>> I didn’t think bird did any of this. A few years ago I was trying to roll
>> my own multicast stack based on open source tools - there wasn’t much
>> then
>> - though I just tried to do a search and found this:
>> https://github.com/troglobit/pimd
>>
>> AND it was updated 15 days ago - hope this helps.
>>

>> On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 8:35 AM Blažej Krajňák <krajnak at levonet.sk> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I was unable to find more details. Is there any plan to implement
>>> multicast routing (SSM, DNS support)?
>
> Hi *,
>
> Using `pimd` is the path FRR and therefor Cumulus Linux has taken too to
> get multicast routing.
>
> Maybe you/others find additional pieces of information on
> https://docs.cumulusnetworks.com/cumulus-linux-42/Layer-3/Protocol-Independent-Multicast-PIM/
> and http://docs.frrouting.org/en/latest/pim.html
>
> Bernd

Sorry for the double post...

I followed the traces of joachim nilsson and found many useful
information on his website/blog. (Try google with 'multicast
site:https://troglobit.com/', i.e. https://troglobit.com/howto/multicast/)

I also found that he has updated and bumped to v4.0 of mrouted during
covid-lockdown times after 10! years after the release of 3.9, see
https://www.troglobit.com/projects/mrouted/

So again I would recommend to everyone interested to dig deep on his
webpage and git repos!