Learning BIRD source

Maria Matějka jan.matejka at nic.cz
Mon Apr 15 07:07:44 CEST 2019

>In many cases, it’s sufficient to do a build and then load the
>directory of built sources. Generated source out of something like
>bison or flex would then be parsed as normal. But for some reason, it’s
>not doing that with the BIRD tree. So this inquiry was really about
>whether I would be the only consumer of the CMake results or there was
>potentially a bigger audience.

And couldn't you just share what IDE you are trying to setup with BIRD and what exact problems you have? It should take me less time helping you setup BIRD in that specific IDE than merging CMake, not even counting your time needed for the rewrite.

The other reason is – I suspect there is another problem (as the bison input is also itself generated by M4 which may confuse the IDE) and you are trying to use a universal solution instead of fixing that little problem.

Adding to that – there will be another big part of code generated by M4 after merging the new filter interpreter in. That may confuse the IDEs even more. Which is why I think the problem should be addressed first specifically (to find out how to tell the IDE the real source), before trying to apply a big hammer just because this looks like a nail.

And we can also put the IDE manual to our little wiki to be some start point for others.

What I'm trying to say – let's first try to find a quick and easy way to fix your problem before doing a project-wide change.

Maria