How to make BIRD use the kernel routing metric?

Kenth Eriksson Kenth.Eriksson at infinera.com
Wed Nov 14 09:59:37 CET 2018

On Wed, 2018-11-14 at 08:21 +0100, Lukas Liebig wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use BIRD 2.0.2 and want the OSPF daemon to announce the Linux
> kernel routing metric. For instance, if I run "ip route add table 44
> to 10.2.3.0/24 metric 1234 dev eth0", I want this route to propagate
> into BIRD. Therefore I use the kernel protocol configured like this:
>
> protocol kernel {
>     ipv4 {
>         export all;
>         import all;
>     };
>     learn;
>     kernel table 44;
>     scan time 10;
> }

You can define a preference value for kernel routes. E.g.

protocol kernel {
     ipv4 {
         export all;
         import all;
         preference 1234;
     };
     learn;
     kernel table 44;
     scan time 10;
}

But this gives you a global value for all kernel routes. I know that
Quagga can import the kernel routes with their individual metrics. Not
sure how to achieve the same in BIRD.

/k