How do I configure BIRD to support multiple Linux kernel routing tables?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sun Feb 25 19:23:40 CET 2018

On 02/25/2018 12:17 AM, Alexander Zubkov wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> You need to use "kernel table" option in the kernel protocol to tell
> bird which table it should look into.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Unfortunately I'm getting "bird: /etc/bird.conf, line 9: syntax error"
with the following config file.

I believe the syntax is correct because if I remove protocol kernel
default and leave the "kernel table 254" entry in protocol kernel main,
bird -p is perfectly happy and bird will start.  BIRD version 1.6.3
(from ~current Gentoo portage) if that helps.

protocol kernel main {
         learn;
         export all;
         import all;
         persist no;
         kernel table 254;
}

protocol kernel default {
         learn;
         export all;
         import all;
         persist no;
         kernel table 253;
}

protocol device {
}

protocol direct {
         interface "*";
}

protocol rip {
         export all;
         import all;
         interface "wgc", "test1", "test2", "test3" {
                 version 2;
         };

Grant. . . .
unix || die