How do I configure BIRD to support multiple Linux kernel routing tables?

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Sun Feb 25 14:01:52 CET 2018

On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 09:03:28PM -0700, Grant Taylor wrote:
> Pre Script:  I'm a BIRD n00b
>
> How do I configure BIRD to support multiple Linux kernel routing tables?
>
> I have found and tried a few different things on the web, but none seem to
> be doing what I want.
>
> I want to export routes from my "main" routing table (254) and an additional
> routing table "default" (253).

Hello

protocol kernel {
	learn;
	export all;
	import all;
	# these are default values
	# table master;
	# kernel table 254;
}

table deftab;

protocol kernel {
	learn;
	export all;
	import all;
	table deftab;
	kernel table 253;
}

This will sync kernel table 254 ('main') with default BIRD table 'master'
and kernel table 253 ('default') with additional BIRD table 'deftab'.
Optionally, you can use pipe protocol to distribute routes between these
tables.

There are two unexpected issues that may cause problems:

1) BIRD does not allow two Kernel protocol instances to be connected to
the same BIRD table, you have to use two BIRD tables, like above.

2) Trying to use BIRD keywords as protocol/table names would lead to
hard to understand 'syntax error' errors during configuration processing.