OSPF socket error on "bge0" invalid argument

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Sat Jan 14 13:18:10 CET 2017

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 10:56:42AM +0100, Olivier Cochard-Labbé wrote:
> FreeBSD's official bird port version is 1.6.0: If you are using bird 1.6.3,
> this mean you're using your own upgraded version of bird.
> But take care to use the UDP RAW socket bird patch from the FreeBSD port
> [2] if you are running FreeBSD 11.

Hi

Thanks for the answer, we were testing BIRD on FreeBSD 10, so we did not
notice this API change.

I am bit confused by [1] w.r.t. whether ip_len is expected to contain
whole packet length or just data length. In BIRD, we always set it to
whole packet length and it worked, but according to [1] it should be
whole packet length on FreeBSD 10+ and just data length on older ones.

But as we use it only for TX, it is possible that BIRD just sends OSPF
packets that contain additional 20B garbage at the end. OSPF would
tolerate that.

[1] https://wiki.freebsd.org/SOCK_RAW

> And I've proposed a push [4] for including this patch to bird code.

Thanks, i will merge that.