Babel in Bird 1.6.0 (documentation)

Baptiste Jonglez baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org
Sat Apr 30 16:41:35 CEST 2016

On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 04:15:46PM +0200, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
> Baptiste Jonglez <baptiste at bitsofnetworks.org> writes:
>
> > Ah, I thought that this "interface" statement was specific to Babel, but
> > it's actually defined for all protocols.  The syntax seems fairly complex:
> >
> >   http://bird.network.cz/?get_doc&f=bird-3.html#ss3.3
> >
> > IP prefixes are allowed for OSPF, which explains the error message.
>
> Ah, right. Well, seems Babel wasn't mentioned in that part of the doc
> either. Putting that on my list of small fixes ;)

Since you mention documentation, I see a couple of changes you can make:

- add RTS_BABEL in http://bird.network.cz/?get_doc&f=bird-5.html#ss5.5

- list babel-specific route attributes somewhere

- add a few examples (interface without parameters, wildcard interface
  like "tun-*", multiple interfaces in the same interface block)

- talk about filtering: right now, the only mention is very indirect:

     Babel supports no global configuration options apart from those
     common to all other protocols

It's not that obvious that you can use import/export functions to filter
routes.  This is especially important because the default policy (import all,
export none) is not very useful.

For instance, the default behaviour of babeld, exporting only local
addresses, can be approximated by using the "direct" protocol and setting
this policy for babel:

    export where source = RTS_DEVICE;

It's a bit different from babeld, though: if 2001:db8:42:42::1/64 is
configured on an interface, babeld would advertise 2001:db8:42:42::1/128,
while the above filter would advertise 2001:db8:42:42::/64.  I think it's
ok, because for a non-transitive ethernet network you should use a /128 on
the interface anyway.

Baptiste