Got to ask, any ideas?

Martin Kraus martin.kraus at wujiman.net
Tue Apr 2 10:20:59 CEST 2013

On Mon, Apr 01, 2013 at 02:29:30PM -0700, dspazman at epicup.com wrote:
> They were running a cisco router.  They would do this:
>
> show ip bgp neighbors X.X.X.X received-routes
>
> And get:
>
> Total number of prefixes 0
>
> Apparently.  I never saw it, but that is what they would tell me.

show ip bgp neigh <ip>

would show the statistics of sent and received routes including those denied
by local policies on inbound and outbound and a reason for it:

                                 Sent       Rcvd
  Prefix activity:               ----       ----
    Prefixes Current:               1          1 (Consumes 104 bytes)
    Prefixes Total:                 1          1
    Implicit Withdraw:              0          0
    Explicit Withdraw:              0          0
    Used as bestpath:             n/a          1
    Used as multipath:            n/a          0
    Saved (soft-reconfig):        n/a          1 (Consumes 52 bytes)

                                   Outbound    Inbound
  Local Policy Denied Prefixes:    --------    -------
    route-map:                            1          0
    Total:                                1          0

It's probably the best place to look at when something is going wrong. And it
doesn't require special neighbor configuration like
"show ip bgp neighbors X.X.X.X received-routes" does.

mk