recursive route lookup (was: Re: upgrade 1.2.4 - 1.3.1 reverted)

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Wed Oct 24 13:54:37 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 07:52:48PM +0200, Timo Weingärtner wrote:
> Hello Ondrej Zajicek,
>
> 2011-05-30, 17:04:16 you wrote:
> > Generally, the IP address from the BGP NEXT_HOP attribute (i.e. the ones
> > mentioned in 'Next hop address X.X.X.242 resolvable ..' messages should
> > be resolvable through a route which is not from BGP.
>
> I just stumbled over that when trying to remove "next hop self" after 1.3 has
> recursive lookup.
>
> What's the problem with using iBGP routes for recursive lookups (when using
> iBGP as IGP)? The message even says that the route is resolvable.

BIRD does not allow recursive routes to depend on another recursive route.
If your iBGP is configured to generate non-recursive routes (using
'gateway direct' option), then recursive routes (from another BGP)
could depend on that routes, but i am not sure if such setting could
be useful, esp. it does not work if you want to use the same iBGP session
for both recursive and non-recursive routes.