recursive route lookup (was: Re: upgrade 1.2.4 - 1.3.1 reverted)

Timo Weingärtner timo.weingaertner at atis.uka.de
Mon Oct 22 19:52:48 CEST 2012

Hello Ondrej Zajicek,

2011-05-30, 17:04:16 you wrote:
> Generally, the IP address from the BGP NEXT_HOP attribute (i.e. the ones
> mentioned in 'Next hop address X.X.X.242 resolvable ..' messages should
> be resolvable through a route which is not from BGP.

I just stumbled over that when trying to remove "next hop self" after 1.3 has
recursive lookup.

What's the problem with using iBGP routes for recursive lookups (when using
iBGP as IGP)? The message even says that the route is resolvable.

Setup (simplified, RR removed):

[Router A] <-- VLAN 1 --> [Router B] <-- VLAN 2 --> [Router C] <-- VLAN 3

A and B have an iBGP session, B announces the net on VLAN 2 via itself and the
net on VLAN 3 via Router C.

Greetings
Timo
--