Does Bird accept configuration changes using the command line?

Ondrej Filip feela at network.cz
Mon Oct 22 18:45:18 CEST 2012

On 22.10.2012 16:04, 3.listas at adminlinux.com.br wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Thiago!

> I have a network of ~ 200 servers with Quagga routers in the network
> core.
> I'm evaluating the impact of using the Bird in my routers and I have a
> question.
>
> In Quagga the administrator can change the configuration using a
> command line. For example, I have a shell script that changes the
> metric of a route in specific cases. Does Bird allow something similar?
>
> Does Bird accept configuration changes using the command line?

Not really. There is currently only one item, that can be changed
directly from CLI and that is ROA table. If you want to change
configuration in general, you have to amend a configuration file.
However do not forget BIRD has a smart reconfiguration, it
reconfigures only affected protocols and you can also use "include"
statement. So for example all static routes can be in (a) separate
configuration file(s), so the reconfiguration can be almost as easy as
using CLI directly.

				Ondrej