bird and OSPF on p2p

Eugene M. Zheganin emz at norma.perm.ru
Wed Aug 22 12:32:24 CEST 2012

Hi.

On 22.08.2012 14:39, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> As i understand it correctly, you have Quagga at one end and BIRD
> on the other? AFAIK there is some problem related to unnumbered
> ptp links in Quagga which causes incompatibility with BIRD,
> Joakim Tjernlund has some patches for that for Quagga.
As far as I understand unnumbered interfaces are those that have
something like this

interface Loopback0
ip address 1.1.1.1/255.255.255.255
!
interface Tunnel0
ip unnumbered Loopback0

And I have no knowledge about quagga possibilities here, and no such
configuration in my quagga too.

> I guess that changing IP addresses on PTP link to a proper prefix (i.e.
> 172.16.3.132/30) may help.
Excuse me, but why do you consider /32 prefix as improper ? It seems to
be correct for a pointopoint link. Furthrermore, /30 for a pointopoint
subnetting wastes exactly one half of IP adddresses, of course in my
case they are private, but still. Anyway, I tried to set /31 on the bird
side, it didn't help too.

I should say that regardless to that, quagga still can interoperate with
a cisco ipinip/gre tunnel configured on the cisco side as /30 or /31,
while quagga configured as /32 on the interface itself and as /31 in the
area configuration.
>   Also it would be a good idea to check whether
> both sides use the iface in the same mode (broadcast/ptp/ptmp/nbma), but
> this is relevant only on ifaces with proper IP prefix, with current
> addresses broadcast and NBMA cannot be used, so it is probably OK.
Yes, they are both in the pointtopoint mode.

Thanks.
Eugene.