bird and OSPF on p2p

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Wed Aug 22 10:39:24 CEST 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 08:29:20PM +0600, Eugene M. Zheganin wrote:
> Hi, guys !
>
> I'm trying to use bird/OSPF on a bunch of gre tunnels.
> Though I'm using it successfully with ipv6 on same tunnels, I have no
> clue why it doesn't announce the networks when on ipv4.
>
> My typical setup is as follows:
>
> VPN HUB <-----WAN/gre/OSPF-----> branch router <--local-network-->
>
> At this time VPN HUB runs quagga/ospfd (due to this problem I'm talking
> about). I receive all the routing updates from HUB on a branch router,
> but HUB doesn't get anything from a branch router:

As i understand it correctly, you have Quagga at one end and BIRD
on the other? AFAIK there is some problem related to unnumbered
ptp links in Quagga which causes incompatibility with BIRD,
Joakim Tjernlund has some patches for that for Quagga.

I guess that changing IP addresses on PTP link to a proper prefix (i.e.
172.16.3.132/30) may help. Also it would be a good idea to check whether
both sides use the iface in the same mode (broadcast/ptp/ptmp/nbma), but
this is relevant only on ifaces with proper IP prefix, with current
addresses broadcast and NBMA cannot be used, so it is probably OK.