Bird6 and static blackhole

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Thu Feb 24 12:22:45 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 11:35:20AM +0100, Giuseppe Ravasio wrote:
> it seems that linux doesn't allow to set blackhole ipv6 routes without
> specifing the device:
> root@:~# ip -f inet6 route add blackhole 2a01:9c01::/32
> RTNETLINK answers: No such device
>
> if I append dev lo the route inserts without problems.
>
> This error does not happen with reject and so
>
> protocol static {
>         route 2a01:9c01::/32 reject;
> }
>
> works like a charm.

I checked that (but on older kernel, 2.6.23.16) and it seems that
blackhole and prohibit targets are not implemented for IPv6. They
requires a device, but when the loop device is specified, the same
unreachable route is created.

I will check that on a newer kernel. What results did you have when you
created blackhole route with a device?

If it is not really working, the easiest workaround would be to just
use reject route.