static via ip

Petr Šťastný petr at stastny.eu
Tue Nov 23 12:59:00 CET 2010

  I'm not sure I understand how "static route via ip" works.

Users' docs says:

"When the particular destination is not available (the interface is down
or the next hop of the route is not a neighbor at the moment), Static
just uninstalls the route from the table it is connected to and adds it
again as soon as the destination becomes adjacent again."

What is the meaning of word "neighbor" in this context?

protocol static defaultgw {
     route 0.0.0.0/0 via 192.168.1.20;
}

This static route will disappear from routing table when:
a) 192.168.1.20 is not reachable (no route to host, no entry in local
routing table, router doesn't know how to reach it)
b) 192.168.1.20 is not a neighbor in any routing protocol at the moment
(for example BGP session with 192.168.1.20 becomes down)

After some test, a) seems to be bird's behavior. But my first idea was
that this static route should be active only if 192.168.1.20 is routing
protocol neighbor and this protocol is running and active at the moment.

The goal is to shut down default route when BGP session with the BGP
neighbor goes down. So b) would be better behavior for me.

The only way how to do this is to make a shell script that checks the
status of BGP sessions a enables/disables static routes?