BIRD and "router ID" field

Mikhail A. Grishin magr at ripn.net
Mon May 17 13:01:12 CEST 2010

Hi Arnold,

Arnold Nipper пишет:
> Mikhail,
>
> On 17.05.2010 10:05 Mikhail A. Grishin wrote
>
>> Hi,
>> -----------
>> http://bird.network.cz/?get_doc&f=bird-6.html#ss6.1
>> "Route selection rules"
>> Prefer the route with the lowest value of router ID of the advertising
>> router.
>> -----------
>>
>> Our users wants to see "router ID" for every route in looking glass
>> output. It is important for task to understand, why some route is best,
>> while another one - not best.
>>
>> Is it possible to display "router ID" for every route in 'show route
>> all...' output ?
>>

> iirc you are already massaging output from BIRD to present it in a more
> Cisco style to your customers. So why not including information from
> "show protocols all ..." as well?
>
> That's imho much better then overloading BIRD with funny stuff.

If it's impossible (or unwanted) to do it internally, we'll do it by
parsing some other BIRD outputs.

But another BGP attrubutes (med, as_path, local pref, ...), which make
sense in BGP route selection process, already seen at "show protocols
all" output, so may be logically more correct to add "router ID".

Mikhail A. Grishin        E-mail: magr at ripn.net