Problem setting IPv6 next-hop in BGP

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri Nov 20 09:16:48 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 01:57:43AM +0100, S.H. Verbrugge wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to this list, so please bear with me.
>
> I'm trying to set up a BGP route advertising server with BIRD,
> in order to update IPv6 static routes to a juniper router.
>
> My configuration is as follows (addresses omitted to avoid identification):

> I can see the correct routes being advertised, even with the correct 'via'
> in Debug traces,
> However, received routes are in the form of:
>
> <subnet>/64 via <bird source address>.
>
> I'm sure I haven't set next-hop self, so this behaviour seems strange to me.
>
> Could anyone please provide some insight into this?

Hello

Usually BGP IPv6 update has to contain both global next hop address and
link-local next hop address. If you export static routes to BGP, BIRD knows
global next hop address, but does not know link local next hop address
and cannot send proper update. See documentation for option 'missing lladdr'.
You would probably need to set 'missing lladdr ignore'.