BGP anouncing with two peers.

David Rohleder davro at ics.muni.cz
Mon Nov 26 16:45:05 CET 2001

Damjan <gdamjan at mail.net.mk> writes:

> Hello all,
> I want to setup BIRD to anounce BGP routes for my AS.
> We have two backbone providers so I'll need to make two BGP
> connections. I only need to anounce routes and don't want to
> import them. I also want on the second BGP conection to prepend
> our AS several times, so this route should be less prefered.
>
> I have worked out a draft bird configuratioan, but some things
> are unclear to me.
>
> ## bird.conf ##
>
> protocol bgp one {
>         local as 65333; # our AS (let say it is)
>         neighbor peer.two.ip as [theiras];  # peer two and their AS
>         multihop 20 via my.next.hop.ip;   # not directly connected
>         import none;
>         export ;      # Same thing as above, but prepend our AS
>                       # several times, so this route is less
>                       # prefered
>
>         source address x.y.z.w; # The IP address of my router
> }
>
> protocol bgp one {
>       local as 65333; # our AS (let say it is)
>       neighbor peer.two.ip as [theiras];  # peer two and their AS
>       multihop 20 via my.next.hop.ip;   # not directly connected
>       import none;
>       export ;      # Same thing as above, but prepend our AS
>                     # several times, so this route is less
>                     # prefered
>
>       source address x.y.z.w; # The IP address of my router
> }

Are you sure you want to run two BGP processes? Not just one process
with two peers?

protocol bgp one {
         local as 65333; # our AS (let say it is)
         neighbor peer.one.ip as [theiras];  # peer one and their AS
         multihop 20 via my.next.hop.ip;   # not directly connected
         neighbor peer.two.ip as [theiras2];
         mutlihop 20 via my.next.hop.ip;
         import none;
         export filter {
                if bgp_next_hop = peer.two.ip then {
                        bgp_path.prepend(65333);
                        bgp_path.prepend(65333);
                        bgp_path.prepend(65333);
                }
                accept;
        };
         source address x.y.z.w; # The IP address of my router
}

Without any warranty :-) I have never configured BGP.

David Rohleder						davro at ics.muni.cz
Institute of Computer Science, Masaryk University
Brno, Czech Republic