BIRD taking 50% CPU with RIP and 90 Routes

Martin Mares mj at ucw.cz
Sat Jun 17 01:11:29 CEST 2000

Hello!

> i have seen a very high load produced by bird on one of
> my machines. I am basically using the beneath config.
> I think it has something to do with a misconfigured device
> not having enabled Split Horizon. The Ascend Max announced
> the local ethernet ip address so bird deleted the local ethernet
> route but couldnt add the route with a gateway because the
> kernel returned "host unreachble".

   This is impossible, direct device routes have always higher preference
than RIP routes (unless you tweak the preferences in the configuration
which you apparently don't) and if it were a host route, it would be
rejected as invalid.

> With this configuration and 12 hours runtime the process grew to 25MB (With
> only ~90 Routes) and took at least 50% CPU time. Somebody got an idea ?

   Are you compiling bird with any debugging switches?

   Can you enable tracing of the kernel protocol?

				Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares   <mj at ucw.cz>   http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/