OSPF for IPv4 over IPv6 only?

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri Apr 5 15:23:53 CEST 2024

On Tue, Apr 02, 2024 at 11:49:21PM +0200, Pim van Pelt via Bird-users wrote:
> Hoi Ondrej,
>
> On 02.04.2024 16:40, Ondrej Zajicek via Bird-users wrote:
> > Although one could have option that forces it to interpret as IPv6, i
> > would prefer to have 'extended next hop' option that allows to accept
> > both IPv4 and IPv6 next hops in Link-LSA.

> ps - even with IPv4 on the interface and RFC5838 as it was intended, I still
> don't see Bird emit the learned routes to the kernel (see my message to
> Benoit on 30.03.2024, 15:50); so I think even setting extended next hop
> aside, I cannot confirm that OSPFv3 with ipv4 channel works in that
> configuration.

Hi

I have almost implemented 'extended next hop' for OSPFv3. But then i
pivoted to supporting properly IPv4 loopback nexthop [*]. Now i have
doubts about usefulness of 'extended next hop', as any IPv4 router needs
at one IPv4 address anyways (at least to be able to send ICMP messages)
and there is no need to put IPv4 addresses on links. Are there any good
arguments for it?

[*] https://bird.network.cz/pipermail/bird-users/2024-April/017555.html