announce IPV4 loopback via an OSPF v3 backbone

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri Apr 5 15:03:39 CEST 2024

On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 09:08:35AM +0000, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I was reading  the ospv3 spec and this link https://networklessons.com/ospf/ospfv3-for-ipv4- and  was wondering if such features is supported in bird 2. Can we announce loopbacks via OSPFv3 and remove the need to use OSPFv2 and ptp subnets ?
>
> I see it as a good opportunity to reduce the usage of the IPv4 addresses if we can just advertise loopbacks...

Hi

This feature was not implemented in BIRD 2, i just implemented it yesterday:

https://gitlab.nic.cz/labs/bird/-/commit/280daed57d061eb1ebc89013637c683fe23465e8

If there is no IPv4 address on the iface, it chooses an IPv4 address from
another OSPF-managed iface (preferably /32 or stub) and announces that.