BIRD BGP and VRF - Cannot assign requested address

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Sat Aug 5 13:02:08 CEST 2017

On Sat, Aug 05, 2017 at 01:53:11AM +0200, Clément Guivy wrote:
> On 04/08/2017 23:00, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> >
> > You could try to use 'direct' option for IBGP to run it in IBGP mode.
>
> Thanks, I missed this difference between IBGP and EBGP. Now with this
> "direct" setting it's getting better, no more complaining from the service.
> However BGP session is now stuck in "Connect" state. Netstat shows SYN_SENT
> status for the TCP session, and a tcpdump trace shows that conversation
> between the two BIRD routers is limited to SYN packet => immediate SYN+ACK
> response => immediate RST response, this 3-step process being repeated every
> few seconds. Not sure what to conclude from there.
>
> I tried to enable debug with "debug ibgp_internet all" command and check the
> syslog, but it just keeps repeating the following :
>
> bird: ibgp_internet: Connecting to 10.206.81.82 from local address
> 10.206.81.81

It seems like receiving sides do not accept incoming connections, hence
RST response and no receiving event in log. AFAIK, socket listening on
0.0.0.0 should receive connections regardless of VRFs, so it should not
be a problem.

Do EBGP sessions work if you use 'passive' option, i.e. force to accept
incoming sessions instead of relying on outgoing sessions?

One thing to try would be to use 'listen bgp' option on IP address and
interface used for IBGP session.

Also, which Linux kernel version do you use?