BIRD BGP and VRF - Cannot assign requested address

Clément Guivy clement at guivy.fr
Sat Aug 5 01:53:11 CEST 2017

On 04/08/2017 23:00, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:

> You could try to use 'direct' option for IBGP to run it in IBGP mode.

Thanks, I missed this difference between IBGP and EBGP. Now with this
"direct" setting it's getting better, no more complaining from the service.
However BGP session is now stuck in "Connect" state. Netstat shows
SYN_SENT status for the TCP session, and a tcpdump trace shows that
conversation between the two BIRD routers is limited to SYN packet =>
immediate SYN+ACK response => immediate RST response, this 3-step
process being repeated every few seconds. Not sure what to conclude from
there.

I tried to enable debug with "debug ibgp_internet all" command and check
the syslog, but it just keeps repeating the following :

bird: ibgp_internet: Connecting to 10.206.81.82 from local address
10.206.81.81

(same log on the other router, with ip addresses in inversed order of
course)

Also I tried to modify the IPv6 peering in onrder to use the link-local
addresses, and added the following setting :

interface "eth1.3";

Which established the ipv6 peering! This does not really fits my needs
(since my understanding is that this setting is limited to ipv6
link-local peerings) but maybe it's relevant.

Please tell me if you need any more info. I appreciate your help.